Stripped thread

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stripped thread
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:58:55 EST
<<I was using a Color Tune (just got it from Moss) to set the carbs.  When I
screwed the color tune spark plug in, it stripped the threads on the head.
It must have been out of alignment (obviously) as I started screwing it in
(the color tune plug is small and hard to line up).  And, this is on the new
Aluminum Head I just installed--Arggggg.

Not sure where to go from here.  Thoughts?  Is this something that will
require removing the head and taking it into a machine shop.>>

I haven't managed to strip a plug thread on either car that has an HRG head on
it (I have wondered if the alloy was a little harder on the originals), but
have reconditioned Twincam heads that have suffered from 'I think it's almost
in - let's just twist it another half turn' disease.

The best thing that I have found to permanently repair it is a threaded
insert, loctited into the head, although a heilcoil is certainly almost as
good.

And yes, the head has to come off again!!

Bill S.