Painting parts

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Painting parts
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 11:36:01 -0500
I was wondering what is the best way to prepare and paint parts.
Over the next couple of weeks I will be redoing my front suspension.
While I have it apart I would like to paint the A-arms, kinpins,
radiator shroud, etc.  All of the following would address both
painting with an air compressor and without an air compressor.  Currently
I don't have one but I will be buying one in the next couple of months.

1.  What is the best way to prepare the surface?
2.  What type of primer and paint?
3.  What is the most durable?
4.  Should special paint be used for higher temp. items such as
    radiator shrouds, coolant overflow containers, etc.

I was just going to clean off all of the grease, remove the loose paint
and rust with a wire brush, and spray it with a can for rust-o-lem (sp?)
black.  Am I missing anything?  My main concern is that I spend time
doing this and then the paint chips or peels off in a short period of time.
Any advice?

Thanks,

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget