Re: Painting parts

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Painting parts
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 13:29:44 -0500
>I was just going to clean off all of the grease, remove the loose paint
>and rust with a wire brush, and spray it with a can for rust-o-lem (sp?)
>black.  Am I missing anything?  My main concern is that I spend time
>doing this and then the paint chips or peels off in a short period of time.
>Any advice?

Bill,
    I did this two summers ago on my 'B.  I used a drill-mounted wire brush
to remove the loose rust and clean the metal somewhat.  I wasn't worried
about getting a perfect finish since the car is a daily driver.  The
toughest part to clean seemed to be the springs, but everything was slightly
rusted.  As I took the parts off, I cleaned them and set them up for
painting.  I used rust-oleum, and the parts came out looking great.  There
are some very slight blemishes in the spring pan that I assume is the start
of rust, but other than that, it looks great.  BTW, I painted all the
suspension components except for the shocks.  I just cleaned those with a
fine wire wheel to shine them up a bit and they look better than their
former corroding finish.  I painted the brake dust shield a flat black from
a spray can, and it looks powder-coated.
    Everything is holding up well, and the extra work didn't take much time
away from the whole process.  If I could do it over, I would either use
rust-oleum's rusty metal primer or spend more time grinding the rust away.
The little blemishes bother me a little bit, but I guess I'll get to do it
all again in a couple of years or so...

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/