Re: Painting parts

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Painting parts
From: Enrique Claure <span@datacom-bo.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 1998 21:45:37 -0400
DearWillam, I have gone through what you are planning to do and here is my
advice:

1. Sand blast part. This saves a lot of time but if you hand sand a part you
can get a smoother surface. I have no access to a sand blaster so I have
hand sanded everything I have painted. Chemical paint removers are a must
and save lots of time. Bad thing is that some times paint is so well bonded
that the removers will not work.

2. I bought a Hot Coat powder coating system and it works great. I have
powder coated every part of the engine
and car that requires painting and protection. The heater, clamps, air
filter holder, pedal box, hand break, hood locks, spings etc. Great.=20

3. Powder coating by far.

4. Powder coat will with stand 200=BAC, above that you need special enamels
like Murrays paint. If part is exposed to more than that temp yes. Few parts
ever do reach such high temps-being the cyl head, muffler and header.

5. What ever you do or what ever paint you use. I have found out that the
best results will be obtained only if the parts is 100% clean. 99.999% will
not do I guarantee it. Buy a paint prep solvent that will remove grease and
other contminants. Rust must be removed compleatly and/or neutralized.

Good luck, Enrique

Enrique Claure
PO BOX 777-TOP 196
MIAMI FL 33152