Re: Where do I find fiberglass body parts?

To: James <James@LWSD.com>
Subject: Re: Where do I find fiberglass body parts?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 02:49:11 -0500
James wrote:

> I'm looking for fiberglass, carbon fiber or Kevlar (i.e., lightweight)
> fenders for my '74 MGB. I'm also interested in replacing the hood (bonnet),
> trunk (boot) and doors with lightweight replacements, and may eventually be
> looking for the same parts for an MG Midget. I'd like to hear from anyone
> who can recommend a source for these parts, who has stories to tell or
> advice to offer, and especially anyone who has actually weighed the
> original parts and/or knows the weights of replacements.

  Don't have a source for you, but I got a used set of
fiberglass fenders for my 70 B. They are EXTREMELY
light, a couple of pounds. Much lighter than the metal
ones, but I am not sure what that means for the whole
car.

  Once on the car, they seem fine. The only downside I
can see to the fiberglass is that if they don't fit, you
don't have many options to work them to fit like you
can with metal. I suppose you could remove a section and
remold it, but that's a lot of work.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca