MGB head / head gasket

To: "Mgs List Team. Net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB head / head gasket
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 22:33:52 -0700
Let me start off by saying that anyone that has started using their heater in
their LBC ought to check the heater valve closely for leaks.

Now to the problem.  I overheated my B and was pushing a bit of steam out the
exhaust.  On the way home I lost about a quart of water in 40 miles.

After pulling the head this is what I have found.  Looks like #4 cylinder was
getting a bit of water in it.  I'm not sure if any or all of the following items
are related to the overheat problem but here goes.

The second push rod (#1 intake) was chipped on the top end, the cupped area has
chips all the way around.  Why?  Can/should one push rod be replaced or must
they all be replaced?

One of the tappets appears to have some gauling on it.  Why?  Can/should one
tappet be replaced.

I don't know if I should have the head checked for cracks.  Visually it looks
fine.  Suggestions?

I have a head gasket still in the packaging I got with a 1976 parts car, this
head gasket would appear to be identical to the one that came off my engine
(18GB).  Moss' catalog would indicate these are different gaskets.  Are they
interchangeable?

If I end up buying a new head gasket what are the options, are some better than
others?

What have I missed?

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO. USA
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com
1967 MGB Roadster, Vintage Racer
1969 MGB Roadster, Driver
1970 MGB Roadster, Fixer upper
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, for the wife
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"