Re: MGB Bumper conversion...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB Bumper conversion...
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 98 09:30:54 PST
C David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>grill... along with the attendant body changes... I am not a purist. I
>bought the car for less than $100. It needs door skins, and some minor
>straightening around the side turn signals, front and rear on both
>sides...
>
>The rubber bumpers are in rough shape.  Will have to be replaced anyway.
>Why not just convert it? I like the looks of the lower chrome bumpered
>roadsters.

David,

The general consensus of folks on the list will be "don't
do it! it costs to much and is impossible unless you've
got every special tool in the world!" etc etc.  But, considering
the price and condition of the car...it is doable, but how
"right" do you want to make it?  To do it "correctly" you need
new fenders, however, it is possible to modify what you've got.

My 'B was a rubber bumper 'B, but now it has no bumpers, like
the Sebring MGBs.  I think the cowled in Sebring look is easier
to perform on the RBBs than a full chrome conversion.  But,
you've still got to do something about the "cheeks" under the
tail lights.

Are you good with a MIG welder?  If so, go for it.  If you're someone
who's idea of restoration is pay someone else, then forget it.

Lowering?  Well, it can be done, but be prepared for some bump-steer
if you go too far.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/