Re: Lucas Sport Coil (was: Early Wiper Arm Removal)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lucas Sport Coil (was: Early Wiper Arm Removal)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:34:42 -0800
Word on the street is that Nory said:
> Kelvin says:
> >You can use the Lucas Sport Coil. But it
> >is set up for an unballasted system. You
> >will have to bypass the resistive wire that >feeds the original coil.
>
> And you won't fry the coil, like you would a normal coil without the
> ballast resistor?  Why not?

Its my understanding that the ballast resistor is bypassed on startup
to provide 12v to the coil for better starting, then after starting current
flows over the resistive wire to supply something like 8v.  Since the sport
coil is made to handle 12v, you won't get the full results unless you
bypass (or replace) the ballast resistor wire.

Is there a different (lower voltage) coil for post-1975 cars then?  I don't
have a catalogue handy.

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key