Re: Non LBC (Veteran's Poll?)

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: Non LBC (Veteran's Poll?)
From: mgbob@juno.com (Bob Howard)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 11:12:21 EST
Charlie,
  The "what about us" question was also asked by the merchant seamen in
WWII. While it's generally believed that they were overpaid, underworked
and not very patriotic, a book I just finished reading puts paid to that
point of view.
  The US Merchant Marine at War, 1775-1945, edited by Bruce L Felknor,
published by Naval Institute Press,  tells what the title promises.
Included are charts showing pay for enlisted USN sailors and Merchant
Marine, and also casualty figures.  MM suffered about twice USN
casualties. It was an eye-opener for me.
  The first third of the book is not well edited, but the stories are
good. The book improves in the 1860-1945 period.
  19 January 1988 was the date when the Pentagon reversed its previous
position and granted the status of veterans to oceangoing merchant
mariners who served in WWII. Thus they could finally join the VFW, AL and
other veterans groups, though they still were not entitled to veterans
benefits.
Bob