seat belts / balancing engines

To: MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: seat belts / balancing engines
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:48:12 -0500
I am ready to replace the seat belts on both my cars, a '75 roadster, &
a '74 GT. Forget the recall, I want to do it in this millinium.

Requirements are that they be real type, fit the original mounting
points, & for the GT, that they be long enough. The GT has a set from a
late model roadster, & they are barely long enough, lots of retract
pressure. It may be a bad set, I don't see why they should have to be
longer, based upon the mount points.

If you have aftermarket belts that you like/hate, let me know. If you
are a vender on the list, please e-mail me off list, my first preference
is to deal with one of you who contribute your time & expertise to those
of us on the list.

***
It is possible to add weight to balance an engine. A hole is drilled &
filled with "mallory metal", a very heavy metal that will stay in place.
I'm sorry I do not know the technique involved in placing the "mallory
metal", but I do know that it is very expensive. The cheaper alternative
is to lighten some other part. Some parts are routinely ground to
lighten them, such as conn rods, but this is not a job for a rookie, as
grinding the wrong spot may weaken the part. Can you say "hand grenade"
?

Jim Stuart
2 V8's, no dollars or sense