RE: late OD in '67 B

To: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Subject: RE: late OD in '67 B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:45:17 -0800
Denise:

        Been there, done that.  You really need the trans in place to
figure out just how much to trim.  If you mark out the area, then lower
the rear xmember there will be room to get a saw and file in to do the
trimming.  As you have seen, the hole needs to be dressed back about
3/4-1 inch.  I have seen a couple of ways to do the tunnel cover.  I too
have heard of the replacement, but can't remember where.  I have taken
two covers, cut them so they overlap, weld the two longer bits together.
I made the cut on the wide, flattish rectangular bit.  The front bolts
up as per original, a little hammering and the rear holes fit to the
trans tunnel and are held down by large tapping screws.  Once in place I
used foam to seal the gaps.  The cover has held up well to 8 years of
regular driving.  An aluminium or steel strip could be used to effect
the same result.

        I know what you mean about resurrections.  I finally pulled one
of my 58 MGA's into the driveway.  It is such a mess, that I do not feel
badly about restoring it to "my" specification.  The car hit a guard
rail really hard with the back right, spun around and took out the back
left.  The car has been sitting outside ever since with 64,000 miles on
the odo.  Everything is rusty, rotten, bent or missing.  Somehow the
thought of putting my 65B drivetrain in it does not seem like sacrilege.

Kelvin.