Re: Roller rockers...worth the $$$?

To: "Andy Ramm" <aramm@concentric.net>,
Subject: Re: Roller rockers...worth the $$$?
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:09:54 -0800
I have already replied privately w.r.t. the primary benefit of the high
ratio
roller rockers (higher lift) so I'll leave that alone here.

I do want to comment on the reputed benefits of roller rockers Vs
conventional rockers.

My experience is that with quality guides (sintered bronze) the wear rate
is not perceptibly different. Granted this was on a race motor not a 50,000
mile road motor but I'd still say that if the wear difference was really
significant
I would have seen it after 2 seasons of racing. If we are feeling generous
we'll still give this a tick because in theory it would seem better.

Two problems I have seen are

1) the roller rockers are significantly heavier than conventional rockers.
One brand was nearly double the weight of high left conventional rockers!
The additional weight does stress the valvetrain and will also reduce the
maximum RPM for a given setup (esp valve springs)

2) Unless you have stellite tipped valves, the roller rockers will just wear
cylindrical groove in the top of the valve stem. On my road/rally motor with
roller rockers, the depth of this groove after 1 season was a staggering
1.6mm (approx 1/16th")!!! The resultant loss of lift was almost identical
with the amount I gained in going to the higher ratio! The 2nd and bigger
problem with this is that the groove prevents the rolling/sliding action
that
is necessary when the valve opens/closes. What does this do? Yep, you
guessed it - it puts very high side loads on the guides. So much for the
supposed benefits!

The second problem can be overcome by having hardened tips, but if
you don't - watch out.

My vote is for non-roller high ratio rockers.

Mike