California Spec Midget 1500

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: California Spec Midget 1500
From: Christian Stanton <cstanton@pixley.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 09:53:52 -0500
I have a newly aquired '78 Midget which I have deduced is a California(CA) car
from the emissions setup.  I looked in Moss and VB and was surprised to see
that the head and pistons are different for CA!

Does anyone know what the head/piston differences are?

Here are the other differences I can spot:
Timing is different specs (2 degrees ATDC for CA, 10 BTDC for Federal)
Carb Needle is different (45K for CA, 45Q for Fed).
Carb Diaphram retaining ring is different
The distributor advance is listed as a retard for the CA model (what is
different about the dist?)
Pistons are different (How?)
Cat Converter is different (larger?)
Emissions is same equipment but hooked up differently with minor additions.
Speedo cable goes through the 30,000 mile cat converter replacement counter.
The cam seems to be the same

I no longer need to pass CA emissions.  Do the modifications that were made to
the Midget for CA (most notably head and pistons) degrade the performance of
the car?  The carb I can rebuild to federal spec or replace with SU/Weber for
better performance.

BTW: The valve cover on my (as far as I can tell) original car is Robin's Egg
Blue, perhaps another CA part ;-}