Re: Swapping MGB axles to narrow rear track

Subject: Re: Swapping MGB axles to narrow rear track
From: Steve Bettencourt <steveb5815@edgenet.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:01:34 -0500
Kevin,

I just measured the clearances in the rear wheel wells of my '79B. There is
only 9" clear between the arch lip and the axle bumper mounting boss.
Assuming no body mods, the widest tire is about 8" section width which
equals a 195-60-14. On my car the face of the brake drum to the inner limit
(mounting boss) is 5.5", brake drum to arch flange is 3.5". the rims would
have to be offset to put the tire on center of these dimensions.

My whole point to this is, even if you could swap axles, it wouldn't
increase your available tire width selection. It would just require a
different offset rim to properly center the tire in the available space.

Of course other cars may have slightly different dimensions and condition
of spring bushings would effect the rear end side movement thus tire
rubbing. You could always install a panhard bar.

Hope this helps.

At 05:29 PM 12/2/98 -0600, Kevin Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com> wrote:
>Someone wrote a few weeks ago about installing steel wheel axles in a
>wire wheel axle housing to decrease rear track by one inch (to allow
>installation of wider tires inside the stock rear fenders).  But I lost
>the original post.  Were you talking about early (banjo) or latter (tube
>type) axles, or does it make a difference.  Hopefully you were taking
>about later style axles because all of the banjo axles I have are wire
>wheel style.
>
>Kevin Brown  '64 MGB  '71 MGB  '74 TR6  '76 TR6
>Odessa, MO

Steve Bettencourt
'79 MGB
Steve's HotRod World