Re: Car won't start...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Car won't start...
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 11:26:32 -0700
At a time like this, I just start at the basics and do a tuneup. Replace
points, rotor, condenser. Possibly replace plugs if its been a while (more
than say 6k miles). Cost being less than $15.

Check the ignition timing also. That will take care of the most likely
possibilities.

>From there, I would check the carb/choke. However, my expertise in that
area is confined to the SU HS and HIF carbs.

But then my 71BGT hasn't really been a good starter either for at least the
past year. Its slow to fire in the mornings (always starts though) but it
runs like a charm after its warm. And its struggle to start has me stumped
- its not weather related. And it will still start reliably at close to 0
degrees F (or at least I think - the season for below temperatures is
coming soon here in Montana).

So I too would be interested in any experiences, even the bizarre, for poor
starters. I've had my 71BGT for 15 years so I know that it performance is
not as good as it should be.

David