Re: 12/8 '77 Midget update

To: Lancer7676@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 12/8 '77 Midget update
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:44:53 EST
In a message dated 12/9/98 4:55:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<< Allen--At the risk of being corrected by someone who knows more than I do
 about it, everything I have read leads me to steel brake lines, for the
simple
 advantage of strength.  I don't know anything about copper/nickel alloy.
That
 may be just as good, but I am replacing mine and going to steel.  Also--I
 would suggest you get the stainless steel clad flexible lines rather than the
 rubber ones.  Less expansion means more braking power and longer life.

 --David >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

David,

The advice I've received leans toward copper pipes for longer life.  I can't
see that there would be much difference in strength, unless you have things
physically hitting the pipes under the car.  There are stainless steel pipe
sets, but they are very expensive.  I was worried when I first crawled under
the car and saw all the rust on the steel brake pipes.  If you put in the
steel lines, maybe you can treat them with POR15 or Corroless for longer life.
That shouldn't hurt the lines themselves, but getting it on the fittings would
be a problem.

As far as the braided hoses, I am planning on using them.  They are now
supposed to be DOT approved.  In the past they were not, and were only used
for racing.  I will be autocrossing the car so I want the stronger hoses.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport