How to test a condenser

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: How to test a condenser
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:54:48 -0800
Barney,

I suspect that this is very difficult with normal test equipment, because
what you are most likely looking for is breakdown at high voltage. So, you
need a controlled DC power supply capable of supplying up to about 3-400
volts and capable of withstanding a short across its terminals.

I guess that I don't think that points capacitors fail due to ageing -- I
think that they fail randomly, so a new one is just as likely to fail as an
old one, so don't ever change one unless it has failed.

If my initial assumption is true (no ageing) and the failure is not totally
random, you could be making the car *less* reliable by changing the
capacitor. I have no scientific or documentary basis for these assertion
about points capacitors. Anyone have any *real* data?

Simon
---
Simon Matthews                          MailTo:simon_matthews@avanticorp.com
'57 MGA