Re: How to test a condenser

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: How to test a condenser
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:09:17 -0000
As a quick "on the car" check compare the distance the spark will jump using
the following two methods:

1.  Disconnect the contact breaker wire from the coil and tap a flying
ground lead on and off the coil contact, and

2.  Flicking the points open.

The latter should give the much bigger spark because the condenser is in
circuit.  You can test 'unknown quantity' condensers with method 1 as well,
by connecting them across contact that you are making and breaking with the
flying lead.

Again, no indication of capacitance, but certainly a go/no go and even a
comparison between two condensers.

PaulH.