Re: How to test a condenser

To: barneymg@ntsource.com
Subject: Re: How to test a condenser
From: mgbob@juno.com (Bob Howard)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:35:53 EST
Barney,
  Two years ago I had a condensor die of something--don't know why,
except that it was one of those sorry Lucas units that lasted only from
11/52 to 6/96, and then they wouldn't honor the warranty.
  I replaced it. The TD ran as yours did/didn't.  Replaced with another.
Same operation. I replaced points again, plugs, cap, rotor, all wires,
more new plugs, and the frigging coil.  Still ran the same.  Replaced the
second new condensor with a third condensor, taken from an operating
Austin Healey and modified to fit.   Problem solved.
  It was really neat, attending the GOF with a car that was belching and
farting, stalling and hard to start. Returning 150 miles in only 7 hours
was a treat too.
  Oh, in subsequent reading and questioning, all I learned is that one
can't test a condensor/capacitor without some very precise lab equipment,
and even then the test isn't reliable.

Bob