Speedometer Cable Removal

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedometer Cable Removal
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:21:21 -0800
Since the weather has turned a bit chilly, the speedo has been acting up.
Sticking, mostly, a few raps on the glass would fix the problem.  Last
weekend though, it was stuck on zero and when I went for a drive I heard a
brief unpleasant grinding noise which I couldn't recognize at first but then
realized was coming from the direction of the speedo.  I assume gears are
stripped or other such nastiness, but its not the right speedo anyway so
what the hell.

I want to take it out of the dash.  I've removed the thumbscrews and two
bulbs from the back, but I cannot get the speedo cable off.  I can turn it
about 1/4 of a turn in either direction, but no further.  I have been on my
back in the footwell and given 110% in both directions (its hard to get a
grip on the sucker with that metal bar in the way) to no avail.

Is the little bastard supposed to just screw off?  Which direction (looking
from the front of the gauge)?

Thanks
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key