Re: Towbar for MGB

To: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Towbar for MGB
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 18:43:11 -0600
Here ya go Skye:

  To disconnect the driveshaft on a manual trans MGB for towing:

   Don't bother, it's not necessary.

  If you have an automatic transmission or just don't want to believe
the above:

 * Jack up one side of the car so that the rear wheel is off the ground.

 *  Put a jackstand, etc., beside the jack so the car can't fall on you
while you're under there.

 *  Put blocks in front of and behind the wheels on the other side so
the car can't roll. Reason as in step immediately above.

 * Crawl under the car with a fistfull of wrenches (7/16" or 1/2", I
don't remember) A couple of box ends will usually do it but ya never
know what you my find under your B.

 * Scribe a line on the drive shaft flange and adjacent pinion flange so
that they may be reconnected in the same relative position.  Oops!
Forgot the scriber.  Crawl out and get it.

 * Remove the four bolts and nuts holding the drive shaft to the pinion
flange. (How to hold the drive shaft in one position or to allow it to
rotate so as to get at the bolts is left to the ingenuity of the
reader.  Hint: it will turn if the brake is off and the transmission is
in neutral.) This may go quickly or not, depending on how rusty, etc.,
the bolts are.  Hmmm. should have taken some penetrating oil under
there, along with the wrenches.

 * Pull, pry, bash (or in some other way cause to move) the driveshaft
slightly forward so as to disconnect it from the pinion flange.  Might
have been a good idea to take a hammer and long screwdriver under there
too.

 * Tie the driveshaft up out of the way to some convenient point, using
bailing wire, rope, your belt. your SO's nylons etc., so it won't rattle
around.

 * Crawl out from under car and have a cold one.  Crawl back under car
and retrieve your tools.

 * Set car back down on the ground and put everything away.

 * Repeat the first three steps above so as to retrieve the bolts and
nuts you left under the car.

  Alternatively, hire one of the guys on the MG list who claims he can
do this job in five minutes.  Bet him that he can't do it that fast so
as to get it done for free.  (Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!)

  Tee Hee,

  Charley Robinson
  '69 B