Re: Towbar for MGB

To: "Bud Krueger" <bkrueger@ici.net>, "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Towbar for MGB
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:58:15 -0500
    You might want to think twice about getting someone else to
disconnect your driveshaft when you tow the car...When I bought my
first 'B in Florida, the seller offered to disconnect the driveshaft
for me before I started my trip.  Sure, I figured it couldn't be
that hard, and after 20 minutes or so he returned from under the car
with four nuts and bolts.
    I set out on my way, and I stopped for gas in North Carolina
somewhere, right around 10:30 or 11 at night.  As I was pumping the
gas, an attendant came out and told me that my driveshaft had just
fallen off as I stopped!  I looked under the car, and sho' nuff,
Goober unbolted the driveshaft alright...From the transmission!
    The spinning shaft tore a hole in the tranny tunnel and managed
to beat it's way through the little support plate just ahead of the
rear axle.  I'm afraid to wonder what the damage would have been had
that plate gave out a few minutes earlier, while jetting down 95 at
70 mph - but the little MG held out...
    After pulling the driveshaft and tossing it in my trunk, I
wondered what would make a suitable gift for the winner of the 1996
"Duh-Huh" award...

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/