Re: Starter has a mind of its own (Christene)

To: "Rick Roberts" <rrobertsmg@hotmail.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter has a mind of its own (Christene)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:50:55 -0000
Relay chatter is usually symptomatic of a bad connection in the brown or
heavy current circuit.

If removing the battery cable released the solenoid then a mechanical
sticking can probably be ruled out.  You could have another duff relay
(possible) or the ignition switch may not be disconnecting the 12v from the
relay, or the relay not disconnecting the 12v from the solenoid.  You need
to check the relay winding (white/red) and contact (white/brown) to be sure,
either of these could also have a partial short to 12v giving enough voltage
to hold the solenoid once operated but not top operate it on its own.  You
can do this without thrashing you starter if you disconnect the heavy
current cable from the solenoid but leave the white-brown on its own
terminal.  If the browns connect to the heavy current cable at the solenoid
you will need to leave these connected to the heavy current cable i.e. off
the solenoid.

Remember, "You may have more than one fault", as Nory would say.

PaulH.