Re: [Fwd: MG Q&A]

To: Csooch1@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: MG Q&A]
From: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:27:43 -0500
Csooch1@aol.com wrote:

> Listers,
> I personally would not use anything that thick(20w50,10w30) in the dashpots.
> Throttle response will be horrible until the carbs come up to temp. and the
> oil thins out.  I have used Marvel Mystery oil in every SU, stromberg, dashpot
> type carb, and have never had any problems since it is pretty thin.  You can
> get this red oil at most hardware or auto stores.
> Cheers,
> Chris
> BJ8...many,many pieces

Chris,

Could you explain a bit more about how and why the viscosity of the oil
used in the dampers has anything whatever to do with "throttle
response"?  My understanding (perhaps mistaken?) is that the function of
the oil in the carb dampers is to provide for mixture enrichment upon
throttle opening (an accelerator pump function) and that the the height
of the piston in the SU carb affects only the mixture, not the amount of
air/fuel getting into the engine.

(I did switch to 5W-30 when operating an MGB in Montana and North Dakota
winters, but have never sensed the need to use anything of lesser
viscosity in the dampers.)

--
*Bill Schooler      *Check the MGCC Wash DC Centre Web Page
*Woodbridge, VA     *http://members.aol.com/mgccwdcc/