RE: [Fwd: MG Q&A]

To: "'Hans Duinhoven'" <H.Duinhoven@Simac.nl>,
Subject: RE: [Fwd: MG Q&A]
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:35:08 -0500
Good idea Hans.

I have a plastic syringe (sans needle) in my toolbox and some aquarium
tubing.  I've used it to test vacuum advance and put oil in the shocks, and
just realized it would be an ideal tool for removing oil from the dashpots
too.

Of course, you could just take off the dashpot cover, slide the piston out
and dump out the oil, but that would require removing three screws per
carburetor.

One more point about the 'damping' action as it relates to an accelerator
pump.   I'm led to believe that as you stomp on the pedal, the damper (small
piston in oil) slows the raising of the large piston.  The increased demand
for air through the net-yet-larger venturi translates to more suction, which
pulls more fuel up the jet.  You'd have to assume the fuel flow increases
proportionally more than the airflow to get the accelerator pump effect.
Flow bench guys can probably measure this.  I'm no SU expert, but that's the
way I understand it.

My question is:  Now that I've changed my cam, pistons and distributor how
do I figure out what jet needles to use?

Matt Kulka
'74 B - so far using motor oil in the carbs.