Re: Tranny oil flow - Part 2 (maint sched)

To: MG Nuts <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Tranny oil flow - Part 2 (maint sched)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:28:21 -0800
Word on the street is that Barney Gaylord said:
> And while we're on the subject, in light of this last statement, how many
> of you know that you should change the oil in the gearbox and rear axle
> about every second oil change?  More inportantly, how many of you actually
> do it?  Better check the maintainance schedule in the shop manual.  For
> most people this may nearly match the interval for flushing the brake
> fluid, another sorely neglected point.

Or every 4th change, for those of us that change engine oil at 3k miles :)

My '73 Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual says to change the gearbox oil at
12,000 miles (or 12 months), to top off the axle at 6,000 miles (or 6
months) but doesn't say when to change it, and to change the brake
fluid and all seals and hoses at 40,000 miles.  Of course I end up changing
most of the fluid through bleeding when replacing leaky rear cylinders,
rebuilding calipers, etc.  :)

Speaking of which, I hear some 20W50 and DOT4 calling my name...

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key