Subject: Re: OT New Car Search for the folks

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Subject: Re: OT New Car Search for the folks
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 05:46:19 -0500
Did someone suggest a Camry???

Let me share my Camry nightmare.

I bought one new in 1986, the then new 1987 design.  It was unquestionably
the worst car I have ever owned.  (Bought my first car in 1956)  From day-1
it had problems of fit, finish, reliability & of dealer service.  The list
of problems is too long to review here.  But, suffice it to say that when my
'80 MGB was our more reliable car (FAR more reliable), it speaks volumes for
Toyota's lack of quality.

On one occasion it was in the shop off and on for 5 weeks inside two months.
Turns out MYoriginal problem diagnosis of a fuel problem was ultimately
diagnosed by the zone service mgr. as bad injectors.  Not the electrical
problem the dealer service mgr. & staff insisted it was.  Of course, the
warrantee expired before we learned that.  And, unlike Volkswagen who
quickly handled a transmission problem long out of warrantee, Toyota
basically said fight us for new injectors if you like.

Then the coil went.  The dealer wanted $600 for a new coil.  Lots of threats
later, he agreed to installing the "coil" in the old distributor for $250.
The original quote was for the replacement of the whole distributor.  Then
it was the air box - similar price.  Bought a replacement at a junkyard &
installed myself.

In it's last year at about 85,000 miles it died 3-times out in the middle of
nowhere.  Ultimately, we dumped it for a move back to another European car -
a Saab.  Wish we had done it sooner.

Now we have a car that IS more reliable than my MGB.  And, a lot safer and
carries much more.

Other recent European cars we've had good experience with: Audi, VW (2).

Norm
'66 MGB