Re: '80 MGB handbrake problem - please help!

To: <JChumley3@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: '80 MGB handbrake problem - please help!
From: "MSLishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 02:45:09 -0500

----------
> From: JChumley3@aol.com
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: '80 MGB handbrake problem - please help!
> Date: Monday, December 21, 1998 9:47 PM
>
> I don't know if it is related to the first winter cold front (temps in
the
> 20s) that we got today in Texas, but as I went to leave work tonight, I
find
> that my handbrake is broken.  Complicating matters is that it is stuck in
the
> "on" position!

It might be related to the cold...Was the cold snap accompanied with rain?
There's a chance your cable froze into the "on" position.

If this is the case, only one thing has ever worked for me.  Crawl under
the car from the rear and find where the cable attaches to the rear brakes.
 Grab the cable and shake the living snot out of it.  Repeat for the other
side.  If the cable still isn't off, repeat, but harder.

If the handbrake lever still doesn't want to cooperate, try backing the car
out and see if the brakes really are caught in the 'on' position.  If
memory serves me right, the rear brakes are designed to come off if the
cable brakes or comes loose.  Good luck!

Mike "I think it's frozen" Lishego
1974 MGB
1986 Plymouth Turismo 2.2
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706