Re: non od and OD trannys

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: non od and OD trannys
From: mgbob@juno.com (Bob Howard)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:55:57 EST
Hi Bruce,
  They do have a lockout, in that the 3/4 gear switch is supposed to keep
the OD from operating in other gears.  The trouble seems to arise when
the solenoid gets stuck, thus keeping the unit engaged.  Frankly, I don't
know how one would know that, either, except that rpm would be noticeably
lower in 3 or 4. I don't think you would notice in 1 or 2.
  One of our club members rebuilt a thrashed engine and installed an OD
at the same time.  He drove for a month with the OD stuck in OD before he
figured it out. Nothing broke, but I understand that he was just lucky.
He didn't notice, he said, because he wasn't planning to use the OD
during the break-in period, and engine had so much more power that the
car performed better even in OD than it had before.
  I have rigged an indicator light in the wiring. I know when the OD
circuit is energised, but not that the solenoid has disengaged.   Another
reason, perhaps, to use 20/50, or even synthetic oils, in the OD, so as
to minimise any hanging up from overly high viscosity.
Bob