well it's out!

Subject: well it's out!
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:40:50 -0600
I successfully completed my second engine removal.  Not sure if that's
good or bad.  The amazing point:  I did it almost entirely by myself.
Oh yeah, with the engine about halfway up, the jack on the hoist decided
it didn't want to go up anymore.  I had lowered it some, but the jack
wouldn't raise back to where I had it 2 mins ago.

I called the place at 5:18pm.  Not sure when they closed.  They at first
were reluctant to help me until the morning (it's sleeting for the first
time in about a year), saying it was too late.  I explained to them that
the engine was over halfway out and beyond the point of no return, and
that I had planned on having it on a stand by this evening.  So they
agreed to send someone over with another hoist.  Turns out all I needed
was the jack part.

BUT, I must say that the hoist is waaaaaaay easier than the forklift, so
it's well worth the $30 to rent for a day.  The only part I needed help
with was the very end.  I didn't want to raise it anymore, and the hoist
had gone as far back as it could.  So my brother pushed the car
backwards while I raised up the bottom of the transmission to clear the
"bonnet fairing panel."  Getting that lateral transmission mount undone
was a little tricky.

All in all a good experience.  All I lack in getting it on the stand is
clutch removal, flywheel removal, and rear plate removal.  I'll have it
on the stand by tonight I guess, provided I have the right length bolts
to go into the block.

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu