Alternator light is on again

To: <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Alternator light is on again
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 18:36:45 -0500
>Tomorrow I'm dragging out the voltmeter to see what kinds of readings I
>get.  When I replaced the alternator the first time, I did a thorough exam
>of the wiring to and from the indicator light, so I doubt there's a short -
>but I'm looking anyway.

Good idea Mike.  If your alternator can maintain 14 volts with the
accessories on then it is producing adequate current.  The Lucas indicator
lamps sometimes will glow when all else is well.  As the lamp is receiving
voltage from the battery and from the alternator if there is a partial
ground on either side of the circuit to or from the lamp then the lamp will
glow.  Unfortunately it may have nothing to do with whether the alternator
is actually charging or not.

I really think this problem can usually be traced to the diode plate set in
the alternator which grounds or feeds current to the indicator lamp.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada