Re: Alternator light is on again

To: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Alternator light is on again
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:07:52 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: Kulka, Matt <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
To: mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: 28 December 1998 19:48

>Mike,
>
>  I can't recall how many times I've read from this list "...check the
>grounding in the tail lights."  Since everything electrical seems to run
>nicely, and your charging lamp comes on "in time with the turn signal" it
>seems very likely to me that you have a high resistance (possibly a bad
>ground) in one or both of your turn signals.

Sounds like typical alternator diode failure to me.

>  That would cause a larger
>current draw, maybe just high enough to cause the faint glow in your
>charging light.

Not so.  A serial resistance *reduces* current, usually first noticed when
the turn signals light but don't flash, or don't flash when the engine is
idling, or when the headlights are on.  If use of the turn signals causes
various other lamps in the rear cluster(s) to flash in time, then that is an
indication of a bad ground to the cluster.

PaulH.