Re: Cold Weather Starting

To: <CIAG6@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Cold Weather Starting
From: Jack Severson <jesevers@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:36:42 -0600
Hi Ray,

Well, I'm not sure but I think you possibly might richen the mixture some as
you open the throttle butterfly momentarily a bunch of times while the
engine is turning over, and induce or worsten a flooded condition, or maybe
jog the choke open after it's been set.  I guess that's stretching it some,
but in any case, it can do no good.

It's like idly or frantically clicking your mouse or space bar while you are
waiting for your computer do get done doing whatever it is doing, when the
wonderful hourglass is hanging around and the computer  isn't responding to
keyboard input ....you CAN lock it up or get one of those lovely General
Protection Faults, although I doubt you could formulate a method for
ensuring problems just due to random user input under those circumstances.

My wife had to leave the XKE in Milwaukee (90 miles away) one night last
month because it wouldn't start on a 20 degree night. Neither she or anyone
with her had a clue. Next day we returned to Milwaukee to retrieve the car.
Two Zenith-Stromberg 175's, same as on late-model B's, with no accelerator
pumps. Sure enough, when we got there it still wouldn't start after sitting
all night, not even with starting ether.. As I went through the
electricity-compression-fuel-air routine nothing seemed amiss. Tried a few
times to start it as I proceeded with me leaned over the engine and my wife
turning the ignition key. Did this again just as I had reached the end of
the troubleshooting tree and I noticed the throttle linkage going like mad.
Now, I know it would be MUCH worse with an accelerator pump, but I hollered
STOP IT. Gas pedal all the way to the floor. Cranked it over. Set the choke.
It started right up. Drove right home and not a problem since. I know it
could just be coincidence like so many other of life's little torments.

Not to disparage anyone who does pump the gas pedal, but once the choke is
set by hand or automatically after one push of the pedal, why would anyone
want to pump more?  I guess what I'm saying is that if you pump the pedal,
you should stop doing that to begin with, and then move on to other more
likely causes of starting problems.

Then too, I have had experience with people driving fuel-injected cars or
cars with carburetors AND accelerator pumps who had starting problems
because they pumped the gas pedal without knowing it was the wrong thing to
do. Matter of fact, I don't know why this is a no-no on fuel injected cars.
Doesn't the ECM know all?

Not to go into it too deeply or anything, I guess I am just skittish about
it and it's a good point at which to begin troubleshooting and understanding
the owner of the troubled vehicle.

 -- Jack