Blackout at 60mph

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Blackout at 60mph
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 13:20:57 +0000
Certainly a Happy and Grease-filled New Year to all you car people.

Last night (New Year's Eve/morning), after getting bored wandering the
city once the fireworks died down - I suggested, to my female company, a
little balmy (romantic?) early morning drive in the hills of Adelaide
(South Australia) - it was about 01:00hrs.  Dropping in on one of the
quaint country pubs during these types of festivities is always a joy
and friendly experience (unless they have gotten to the stage of
brawling on the footpath :-)

These beautiful winding roads are fantastic in the daytime but I had
never driven them at night when they become a mixture of fantastic and a
little frightening.  I just slowed down a bit and enjoyed the
experience... until the headlights CUT OUT completely through a series
of short sweeping bends at 60mph!!!!!!!  Now *that* is an adrenalin buzz
(luckily it was a full moon last night), but I have gained a row of
fingernail-shaped puncture marks in my arm from one slightly upset
female passenger.

Immediately hit the light switch off/on/off/on and they came back, but
noticed the switch felt loose in its mount - why is it that I had never
noticed this before?  We get back into the city - the lights had
flickered once or twice since when going over bumps - and notice that
the switch is actually in the UP or OFF position and the lights are ON.

The switch hasn't rotated (I tried it and couldn't get it to move).

On top of some of the worn-through-to bare-wire insulation on some
wiring in the engine bay it looks like 1999 will be the "year of the
electrics"... and I just wanted to spend some money making her "pretty".

The maintenance goes on...

Eric
'68MGB MkII