Re: Engine Rebuild

To: Fred Pixley <fpixley@kingston.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 02:20:33 -0500
Fred Pixley wrote:
> My concern now is: how can  I hone the cylinders and wash out the residue
> without getting grit and debris onto the crankshaft and around the main
> bearings?

  This is not a foolproof method, but realistically
it should be enough.

  Before honing, stuff soaking-oily rags into the bores. The oil
should catch and hold most of the swarf, pull the rags out
from above and that will get most of it.

  As well, stuff oily q-tips into the oil holes in the rod
bearing journals.

  After the work, use a air degreaser wand ($4) or a pressure
washer with plan detergent. Spray as much as you can everywhere,
this will degrease everything very completely.

  Because of the lack of grease the grit will not stick and
will be easily washed away by the air or the water.

  Immediately after degreasing though, spray everything
with WD-40. The "WD" stands for water displacement, it
is perfect at this, it will dry the last bit of water and
protect the steel right away, otherwise it will flash rust
before your eyes.

  That should be it. I am assuming you have the pistons
off but the crank installed, so the main bearings should
be ok, the oil comes OUT of the bearings not in so
that should push any grit into the sump. As long as you
give the rod bearing journals a quick wipe with
a clean cloth before installing, you should get about
all the swarf you possibly can.

> I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the engine was
> dismantled and the pistons removed.  It took about 3 hours so far.

  It goes well, probably because all the bolts are protected
from the weather. I guess with any other car work you expect
to have problems with seized bolts and rounded heads, but the
engine usually goes well because it's quality hardware
that lives in a happy oily world.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca