Re: sump question

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: sump question
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:22:27 -0500
>Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:56:55 -0800
>From: "Lawrie  Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
>Subject: Re: sump question

>Nina.........

>If your '71 GT has the original engine, it should be an 18GK not an 18V.
The
>Vs were the first to be black. Your engine and oil pan, if GK-numbered,
>should both be that nice dark red color. The insides were originally
>un-painted.

>Lawrie

Nina, I just finished scrubbing up my 77 Marina sump in the laundry tub.  It
is an 18V engine and, as Lawrie stated, is black.  Surprisingly, it is gloss
black on the inside also.  Out of curiosity I checked my 71 BGT sump on the
car which was maroon (don't know about the inside).

Does anyone know what the gray pastey-like material is that deposits in the
bottom of the sump?  My guess is that it forms from condensation and oil,
but I'm just curious.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada