Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argohouston.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:16:26 CST
This is a good one.
   Scott votes for spun bearing, and Eric is betting on worn thrust washers....
   If I understand correctly, the problem with the movement is that the fan
rotates up to 3/8 of an inch, not that it moves forward and back, which is what
it would do if it were thrust washers.  ( easily checked, step on the clutch
with the engine idleing in neutral, and have someone watch the fan, it will
visably move towards the radiator if the thrust washers are completely shot...
done that one.)
   If it were a spun bearing I'd expect to see a fairly drastic drop in oil
pressure (been here to), which would probably get my attention a lot faster
that a 'clicking noise' that comes and goes.
   It sounds to me that the play in the rotation of the fan and water pump, aka
everything tied to the drive belt, is more that likely caused by the harmonic
balancer becoming detached from the hub.  Probably if you check ( use a mirror
to watch the hub/crankshaft end while someone wiggles the fan back and forth )
you will find that the balancer/pully is rotating with respect to the
hub/crankshaft, meaning someone isn't firmly attached to the rubber bit in the
middle anymore.
   My $0.02.  (Probably worth about as much as anyones, and not one bit
more.... )
Harlan.