Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: Scott Allen <s4usea@fanniemae.com>
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 07:56:38 -0800
> Spun bearing.

When I originally rotated the crank, this was the first thing that came
to mind.  I've heard of it happening, but didn't have any experience.
Plus, I was and still am in denial.  I rebuilt the motor 10k miles ago.
It was my first motor, so I wasn't diligent and never used plastigauge.
Maybe clearances were off.  I ASSumed the machine shop would do the work
right, but now I know you have to double check.

> If you have a friend with a stethascope (sp?) you may be able to
> take a listen down by the sump and figure out which one it is.

What damage can I expect from driving it?  I have to get this car back
home (400 miles), before I can start to even think about repairs.  This
lousy engineering school doesn't have an Auto Hobby Shop, so I can't
pull the motor and do the work here.  I figure if I ruin the crank, it
would still be cheaper to buy another used one, rather than pay someone
to do the work here.

> Good luck,
>
> Scott Allen

Thanks, I could use all I can get.

Jay
PS.     That which does not kill me, can only make me stronger.