Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Free play in crank?? ('70 MGB)
From: John Greenwood <bmartin@southeast.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:27:27 -0500
My first post to this list, and I also missed the original post to this
thread. But I've seen this problem on my Cooper S. I could turn the fan
rotationally a few degrees back and forth. The water pump and alternator
were both good, but the crank pulley seemed loose. Removal of the pulley
disclosed the large front crank bolt little more than finger tight and
the woodruff key a loose fit in the crank slot, also the slot in the
pulley widened about 50%. As the Cooper S has a nitrided crank, it was
not worn and a new key and pulley fixed the problem. Be sure to torque
the big bolt to specs and use some loctite as well as the lock tab
washer. If the crank slot is worn, you might be able to buy a wider
woodruff key from a hardware store and hand file it to fit. It would
work and be a lot easier than replacing the crank!
Hope this helps.
John Greenwood   Jacksonville, Florida
67 Mini Cooper S