Just when you think you have it all figured out...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Just when you think you have it all figured out...
From: "Jim Boyd" <intlsportscars@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 06:36:56 PST
Hey Listers:

I've been away for about 2 months, but now am back in the swing of things
with the parts business and back on the 'Net.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season!

Following is a brief but sad MG story...hope others will learn from my
mistake!

This morning at the crack of dawn I was out on our side driveway, ohm meter
in hand, checking out some electrical problems on a '70 B GT that my oldest
daughter has been driving to college.  I had just purchased a voltmeter
gauge to install in the car so that she could monitor the electrical
system.  I just finished the job and took a nice long draw of java from my
MG cofee mug.  Life is good when things work right (finally)!

My wife was leaving for work, so with the MG still purring at idle, I ran
over to our circle drive to plant a kiss on my lovely bride.  Suddenly my
wife shrieked out my name!  Now without bragging too much,  I have to say
that being married almost 21 years to the same lady has given me plenty of
practice in the lip lock technique :>)  But this was not to be the case
today!

Much to our horror, we helplessly watched our pretty little white GT roll
down the slightly sloping drive (in neutral, but with parking brake fully
engaged)!!  It all seemed to happen in slow motion but only went about 40
feet.  I was too far away (too old and too fat!)to even atttempt running
after it.  I thought, well, there goes the wooden fence!  But the GT
twitched a little to the right and bumped right into a '66 Spitfire
(awaiting a Grassroots Motorsports RX-7 transplant). I can tell you the
sound of two lbcs crunching each other is not a sound I enjoy hearing!

The GT actually got through it better than I had expected.  The right front
fender is ruined, turn signal lense broken, but thats about it, really.
Even the turn signal bulb is OK!  I just painted the car  a year or so ago,
so the thought of repainting and repairing doesn't appeal to me right now!
The Spitfire came out of it without even a scratch!  The MG vs Triumph
battle obviously continues to this day!

Here are a few lessons I learned today:

1.      Don't work on a lbc in your pajamas if you can avoid it.

2.      Make sure that you and your spouse close your eyes when you kiss.

3.      Don't get mad if your wife, daughter or friend crunches your MG; it
could
have been your fault!

4.      Don't park differing lbc marques in closed areas where new turf battles
can break out.

5.      Never walk away from a lbc with the engine running. You risk the
possibility of hurting the cars feelings; it may act out these feelings in a
way that will force you to spend additional time with it.  Always remember
that the car owns you, not vice versa!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components