Re: Re: Just when you think you have it all figured out...

To: ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Re: Just when you think you have it all figured out...
From: MGSMGBGT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:12:06 EST
In a message dated 1/8/1999 12:43:06 PM, ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu wrote:

<<I would hold off on painting it for one reason you may have to blend the
paint in. Don't depend on the primer that is on the new fender. Re prime
it or you will regret it.
...Art

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, john peloquin wrote:

> Dear Jim,
>
> This must be the season for MGB-GT crunching. My sweetie drove our Nazi
> Sh*T box (jetta GL) directly into my right front fender of my 70 B-GT
> destroying said fender. It could have been me doing this as you said, so I
> am now concerned with repair. I ordered a new fender and trim from the
> "Proper MG" and now I have to decide whether to paint it Before I put it
> on or after. Any suggestions out there? IF I paint after I put it on, how
> can I protect the inside of the fender properly as not all of it will be
> accessable to paint when it is already on the the car. But, if I paint
> before hand, I worry that the new paint job might crack if I have to twist
> the new fender to get it to fit correctly.

Fit the fender first to be certain that all alligns properly.  Then remove the
fender, prime and paint it both inside and out.  Doing this will provide rust
protection for the fender.  Most fenders rust from the inside out.  This is
because the inside is not properly protected.  If you paint the inside of the
fender as well as you paint the outside or the fender you provide similar
protection against rust.

Bob Shaw
Lincoln, NE