Re: Carb kit

To: Andrew Errington <ame@synaptics.com>
Subject: Re: Carb kit
From: ccrobins <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:32:57 -0600
Hi Andy,

  I didn't see you first post on this subject, so I don't know what you
feel is wrong with your carbs.  I did some work on my carbs last spring
when I found out that they were impossible to tune correctly. Based on
what worked for me, here's my $.02:

  Before you do anything else, make sure the throttle shafts aren't
leaking!  The carbs won't work right if they leak air.

  If the float valves don't leak, leave them alone.  You can find out by
turning on the ignition and listening to the fuel pump.  Unless it runs
excessively, the float needles and seats are doing their jobs.  You can
always fine-tune the float _settings_ after you get the other stuff
right.

  I could have saved myself a lot of messing around if I'd replaced the
mixture control needles and jets in my carbs at the outset.  You can't
tell anything by eyeballing them unless they're _really_ shot.

  Buy a uni-syn guage.  In my experience, there are few people who can
balance the carbs by listening to them, although there are plenty of
guys who claim they can. I _know_ I can't get them as close as I can
with the guage.

  The following is pure opinion:  Unless your're going racing don't
solder the poppet valves on the butterflies unless closed you are _sure_
they're causing a problem.  Why borrow trouble?

  In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

  I know I'll catch it; got my flame suit on. ;^)

  Charley Robinson
  '69 B