Tyres

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tyres
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:28:21 +0000
I just had to vent this somewhere... and why not here!

I just made an awful investment in rubber.  After being thrilled to bits
over the wonderful new ride I was getting with new ant-sway bar and new
front bushings on my 'B, I was looking forward to getting my new tyres.

A bit of research and planning...and advice from this list and I thought
I would be fine but all that went out the window when I got my second
nail through my right rear tyre in the space of a few weeks (after not
having a flat tyre in years).  I threw the car into my nearest tyre shop
in disgust and pointed at the nearest 175/75's (on my 14" rims) and
said... I'll have them.  I have spent a lot of money on this car in a
short amount of time getting ready for my coming holiday so I have to
admit going CHEAP on the tyres!

Driving home was a nightmare.  They have got to be the hardest riding
tyres I have ever had.

It was too late to do much checking (hey, maybe they have put twice as
much air in them as they should:) but I will do this today.  I was
expecting the steering to be a little heavier than it was with my
165/75's but these feel positively STRANGE and BONESHAKING.

I haven't really had time to think much about this yet and I have only
driven on city roads with them for about ten miles, but it was really a
disappointment.  Maybe I was just being hypersensitive?  I have talked
to the tyre place and at least they have suggested I bring in the car
and they will have a look.  I wonder how hopeful I can be that they will
change the rubber after it has been driven a few miles?

Anything I should look for?

BTW For those that are interested, the tyres are Australian made
"pos-a-traction" nothing-specials...!

Eric
'68MGB MkII