Lotus Pistons

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lotus Pistons
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:24:14 EST
<<What you are describing does sound like the AE 2.0L conversion
piston.  The original application was Lotus and the divets are to clear the
valves in that application.  I do not know of any way of verifying this
without pulling the head to check the bore size.
        Actually one comes to mind now.  This piston has a lower pin height.
The piston will not rise as high in the bore as a stock piston.  You might
be able to check for this.  >>

This always struck me as a stupid thing to do - install pistons with a lower
compression height and shave the block down to suit, thus saving a few bucks
on the overstocked and thus less expensive Lotus forged pistons, but reducing
the deck strength of the block.

Much better to spend the bucks and have pistons made up - easy and often just
as cheap in the end.  I have had special pistons made for my Twincam, my TVR
race car, and my street Fiero (for turboing) and never regretted it, and I
think that I would have spent just as much for the Lotus ones (which would
have been an option for the TVR).

Bill