Re: '73 MGB WATER IN THE OIL!

To: mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: '73 MGB WATER IN THE OIL!
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:48:36 EST
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 07:30:21 -0800 "Michael P. Thelen"
<mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
>Hello All!
>
>       I am a brand new MGB enthusiast!  I just got a '73 MGB (my
>first project car ever!) that needs alot of work!  I got it for a really
cheap price so
>I didn't really do a checkout of the car before I got it into my garage
- I just put
>it there, fell in love with the potential I see in the car, and did the
checkout later.  I don't
>even think I  know what to be looking for, I am just really pumped about
fixing the
>car up!!
>However, when I checked the oil in the car over the weekend, there was
>water mixed with it.   Everyone I tell this to seems to cringe in a
really bad way.  I dont
>know much about cars and
>engines yet, but I am eager to learn.  The radiator is holding water
>to the full mark which makes me think that the water isn't coming from
the radiator.
>The guy I bought  it from had the hood off and just a tarp over the car.
 Could water
>get in this way?
>What do I look for?  What could be wrong?  What do I do to find out?
>Can I try and turn the car engine over before fixing the oil problem or
will it just
>make a potential problem worse?
>Are my dreams of this MGB doomed, or should I hang on and put some
>time and money into this problem?  Any information would greatly be
appreciated!!

Mike,
There is no shame in having fallen in love and whisking "the lady" off
her feet without asking her for her resume - there are more than a few on
this list who have been controlled by their emotions this way!
Now youve got her home though it would be a good idea to peek under the
petticoats a little before you walk down the aisle.
As others have mentioned, your water/oil mixture points to a blown head
gasket or possibly a cracked head - do you know how long it has been
since the car was run?
Dont attempt to start it without some preparation - perhaps if Barney is
reading this he will send you his check list/procedures for preparing a
"dormant" engine - its excellent.
Obtain a copy of "MGB Guide to purchase and restoration" by Lindsay
Porter. You can get it from Moss or VB but your local Barnes and Noble or
similar may well also have it - if not they can get it just as quickly as
the parts houses. This book will tell you just how dreadful your car is!!
- take it with a pinch of salt, Porter tends to be highly critical.
Later you will need manuals and the like but the greatest asset to an MG
restoration is this list - you can guarantee that whatever problem you
encounter, somebody here will know the answer
There are MANY excellent MG websites - search around, you will soon fing
that its 4a.m. and you havnt read half of them!
Take the time to evaluate your car so you can plan and budget your
restoration but dont become overwhelmed if it seems impossible - one job
at a time and eventually its all done!
Welcome to the addiction...... well one of them!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley