300zx circuit board help

To: MGList <mgs@autox.team.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: 300zx circuit board help
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:54:11 -0500
Hey all.

On my 300zx daily driver,  I've had the digital dash burnt out since April.
Yes, no gauges other than the 2 gallon idiot light for gas,  and no tickets yet
(knocking on some wood right now).

Well,  i bought a used one last weekend and when comparing the power sources of
the two,  I realized what the problem was on my original one.  I must have
broken a thigamabob on the circuit board when fussing with it, and I'd like to
try and replace it.  Is there any way to determine what the
thigamabob is without a schematic?  Can I just walk into my local radio shack
and buy something that looks like it?

For Z owners who are familiar with the power source,  it's the little (about
2-3 cm long) thigamabob immediately to left of the 16 wire dash connectors.
It's beige with a light blue line around it. There are plenty of them scattered
around the board.  Could I maybe remove one of the good ones and
test it with a multimeter to determine a match?

I hope there's some electrical engineer with a simple solution to this.  But
probably not.

Cheers,

Michael

'78 Midget (snoozing for the winter)
'87 300zx (fighting the rain and snow and slush and salt and .....)