45 degrees advance at idle?

To: "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 45 degrees advance at idle?
From: "Rick Guynn" <rcg1597@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:15:57 -0600
Hi all,

Well I finally got around to playing with the timing on the 'B again and I am
befuddled.

short history:
'73 'B w/'79 engine and ignition.  I cleaned evrything and set the timing.  Car
would bog and backfire when 'snapping' the throttle.

Update: after trying everything I could think of (including checking the valve
timing) I finally decided to try playing with the timing again.  I advanced and
retarded it to no avail.  The I REALLY advanced it.  Now to my best estimate I
have the timing set at about 45 degrees BTDC at appx. 1000rpm.  The bog is
still there a bit, but not nearly as bad and it no longer backfires.  I haven't
dared
to advance it any further.  I have in the past checked to make sure that the
crank pulley mark and the actual position of the the No.1 cylinder were in
sync,
and it appeared that they were.  I may have to check again.  There is no
noticeable signs of pinging.  SO I'm stuck... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance (no pun intended),
Rick