RE: 45 degrees advance at idle?

To: "Rick Guynn" <rcg1597@wt.net>, "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 45 degrees advance at idle?
From: "Lawrence Alexander" <lawrence@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:36:14 -0800
Rick...........

If it's any consolation, one of my customers had a 73 B that was one of the
fastest stock Bs that I had driven. On one occasion, when the car was in for
service, I decided I had to find out what made it so quick. To my surprise,
the needles in the carbs were stock, the ignition system was as original
except that the timing at idle was 45 degrees btdc! It didn't ping, it idled
smoothly and it went like the clappers. Probably had something to do with it
being a low-compression engine, as other cars I've tried to "speed up" by
giving lots of advance have let me know (by severe pinging) that they don't
want anywhere near 45 degrees of advance. So, if you notice no detrimental
effects from that much advance, just enjoy it and worry about something
else!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center