Re: 45 degrees advance at idle?

To: Rick Guynn <rcg1597@wt.net>
Subject: Re: 45 degrees advance at idle?
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:03:10 -0500

Rick Guynn wrote:

> Hi all,
<snip>

> Update: after trying everything I could think of (including checking the valve
> timing) I finally decided to try playing with the timing again.  I advanced
>and
> retarded it to no avail.  The I REALLY advanced it.  Now to my best estimate I
> have the timing set at about 45 degrees BTDC at appx. 1000rpm.  The bog is
> still there a bit, but not nearly as bad and it no longer backfires.  I
>haven't dared
> to advance it any further.  I have in the past checked to make sure that the
> crank pulley mark and the actual position of the the No.1 cylinder were in
>sync,
> and it appeared that they were.  I may have to check again.  There is no
> noticeable signs of pinging.  SO I'm stuck... any suggestions?

Rick, I have the same situation with my '70 B.  My advance is around 45
degrees of advance and it idles smoothly and pulls like a truck.  This
is with what I believe to be a high compression motor.  I replaced the
pistons when I rebuilt the motor, and Brit-Tek sent me the new pistons,
knowing full well what motor I had, so I assume it is high compression.
I didn't know much about cc'ing the heads and deck height and the all,
so I didn't calculate the compression at that time.

Anyway, I'm beginning to stray.  I've put 35,000 miles on my car with
the timing as such and I have had zero problems.  I run 87 or 89 octane
gas with absolutely no pinging whatsoever.  Don't ask me why or how.
When I tried to set my timing at 20 degrees BTDC, the car would not run
over 3k rpm.  My dizzy is new and correct for my car, so I know I am
getting advance.

It's just one of those things.

Jay