RE: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: '73 MBG SIEZED ENGINE!!!
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 18:32:23 -0800
Hi,

> Im bummed!  This is my first project car.  I see potential, but I am not
> sure if I will end up putting more money into it than I will get out of
> it.  I see the challenge and actually get a rush out of it.  However,
> I dont know for sure if it was soley a gasket problem or how
> much it will take to fix this problem.

Rule 1) Don't try and make money with your MG.  For most of us a typical
running MG will cost $2K to $5K and you will probably spend $2K to $5K on it
and sell it for $2K to $5K.

Rule 2) It's all fixable.  There are plenty of old spares off wrecked cars,
and *all* parts are available as new or reproduction (quality varies, but
they are available).  The best thing is because it's an old car everything
bolts together or screws together.  There are no sealed units or
dealer-service-only parts and you can do most of the stuff yourself.

Rule 3) People on this list are friendly and helpful.  There is also a
well-patronised bulletin board on the web, and plenty of useful websites.
The only dumb question is one you either don't ask, or don't set out to find
the answer to.

So, I may have made sweeping generalisations, and I don't know the state of
your particular car, your mechanical aptitude, and the ease with which you
can come by cash to lavish on your, er, habit, but it sounds like you are
willing to have a go, so go ahead.

Andy
--
'69B (needs some attention, but goes okay)